[nSLUG] Data Recovery...

Stephen Gregory nslug at kernelpanic.ca
Thu Jan 29 21:42:51 AST 2009

Daniel Morrison wrote:

> dd conv=noerror bs=4096 if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb

It is just as easy to read the partitions individually and write the
data to a file. That way you don't need a free hard drive. Just lots of
drive space. You can fsck and mount the file later.

But I don't recommend using dd. If the drive is bad dd will likely
stress the drive and make it worst. In this case the drive appears to be
failing as opposed to a damaged file system due to a bit error or crash.

You can use the sb= option with mount to specify an alternate
superblock. See the mount manpage under the ext2 specific options. This
may allow you to recover some data. If only some of the drive is damaged.

I would mount the filesystem readonly with the -r argument for mount.

--
sg