[nSLUG] Richard Stallman in Halifax

Joshua B. juggins at gmail.com
Thu Jan 29 19:46:36 AST 2009

On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 6:15 PM, Daniel Morrison <draker at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2009/1/29 Michael Crawford <mdcrawford at gmail.com>:
>> I have long been in Stallman's camp, and long opposed to Raymond.
>> But my argument - and in my understanding, Stallman's argument as
>> well, boils down to this:
>>
>> - Open Source aims to be effective
>> - Free Software aims to do what is right

To expand on the Catholic church metaphors used by both ESR and RMS in
different places, (and I'm sure they long ago anticipated people like
me stumbling onto similar little epiphanies), Free Software is akin to
a monastic order (or the priesthood) and Open Source describes the
laiety. I imaging between 95 to 99 percent of the audience on Tuesday
night uses open source applications pragmatically and even
occasionally resorts to proprietary ware for expediency sake. But
instead of being offended by Stallmans uncomprising condemnation of
our licentious behaviour we (I speak for myself at least) felt edified
and somewhat gratified to be so wholesomely scolded. If I were a
medieval peasant I'd expect my saints to be celibate without even for
a moment thinking I was really expected to tread so exactly in their
footsteps.

Perhaps my own religious upbringing makes me susceptible to this
approach. Or perhaps its genetic.