[nSLUG] Re: Richard Stallman in Halifax

Mike Spencer mspencer at tallships.ca
Thu Jan 29 18:18:42 AST 2009

me> Maybe we should spell it Lignux.
me> Am I the first to suggest this?    Yow!

D> Sorry...

Ah, well, Wikipedia says that it was rms who first suggested this so I
guess I'm in good company. :-)

    At first, Murdock says, Stallman had wanted to use the term
    "Lignux" -- "as in Linux with GNU at the heart of it" -- but a
    sample testing of the term on Usenet and in various impromptu
    hacker focus groups had merited enough catcalls to convince
    Stallman to go with the less awkward GNU/Linux.
               --  http://oreilly.com/openbook/freedom/ch10.html

Jeez, anything with a '/' in it seems awkward to me.  I use such
locutions as "and/or" occasionally but I do penance afterward.

- Mike

                                                           /V\