[nSLUG] Data Recovery...

Daniel Morrison draker at gmail.com
Thu Jan 29 18:25:51 AST 2009

2009/1/29 Rich <budman85 at eastlink.ca>:
> If it won't spin up and you need the data, I think there is a place on
> Almon St.

If it won't spin up...

Setup your computer with the case open.  Remove the drive, but plug it
into some reasonably long cables.  Hold the drive in one hand, by the
long sides.  Power on the the system.  Rapidly rotate the drive back
and forth, in the same plane as the drive platters, until you
hear/feel the drive spin up (or until you get nervous/give up).
Careful not to throw the drive by mistake!

I have an old 2GB IBM 7200rpm drive like this. I haven't powered it up
in ages, but the last few times I did, it wouldn't spin.  Giving it a
vigorous shake this way gets it started.

-D.