[nSLUG] Stage Lighting. CD Labels.

Richard Bonner ak621 at chebucto.ns.ca
Thu Jan 29 11:43:08 AST 2009

On Thu, 29 Jan 2009, Mike Spencer wrote:

> Richard "***"  Bonner <ak621 at chebucto.ns.ca> wrote:
>> PS: Linux people, please don't kill me; I fear I have inadvertently
>> hijacked the group.  (-:
>
> That's okay, Richard, because we know we might be about to convert you
> to Slackware any month now. :-)

***   Thanks, I appreciate the leeway.

    I won't likely be converted because DOS is so efficient, frugal,
stable, and direct. However, I do want to have some form of Linux as
well as my DOS systems.

> For a long time I made MS-DOS look as much like Unix as possible
> (awk, perl, Jove, GNUish utils etc.)  I'm sure we could make Linux,
> even with an X windomanager, look, even maybe behave, enough like
> DOS to keep you happy.

***   I hope so. For those of you that are smiling, I suspect you have
little DOS experience, or that it was from decades ago. Modern DOS is
very capable; it runs my business and personal life very well. I
mainly want Linux for those apps that are not currently available in
DOS, or to run hardware for which there are no DOS drivers.
                               --------

(Re: CD Labels)
> Do (data) CDs and DVDs have some kind of unique ID
> number, volume label or the like, such that I can determine from
> software which CD is in a drive?  Some way other than parsing a
> directory listing?

***   If the manufacturer has used the "LABEL" or equivalent command,
then yes.

> I want to partially automate playing some assorted videos given me
> by a Windoes user who named all the files using spaces and
> punctuation. Consider filenames like:
>
>    Joe "Mac" MacKenzie's movie, "F!*& it" (1967-8) CD1.avi
>
> Just getting the quoting and escapes on that so the shell won't have a
> cow is bad enough.  But then mplayer still treats a properly quoted
> filename with spaces as separate words, i.e. as multiple filenames.  I
> have a workaround (-playlist) that works but I'd like to ID a DVD disk
> from a shell or perl script and don't know an easy way.
>
> - Mike

***   In DOS or Linux?

    In DOS, it's a snap to place some or all of that file name into the
environment, pick out what one wants, and then make a new file name,
or use it for another purpose. I would use 4DOS, or my personal
favourite: XSET.

 			One or more links to websites
 		  	 for the referred program(s)
 			       can be found at: