[nSLUG] Stage Lighting

Rich budman85 at eastlink.ca
Thu Jan 29 11:04:12 AST 2009

Mike Spencer wrote:
> Richard "***"  Bonner <ak621 at chebucto.ns.ca> wrote:
>

>> PS: Linux people, please don't kill me; I fear I have inadvertently
>> hijacked the group.  (-:
>>

> That's okay, Richard, because we know we might be about to convert you
> to Slackware any month now. :-) For a long time I made MS-DOS look as
> much like Unix as possible (awk, perl, Jove, GNUish utils etc.)  I'm
> sure we could make Linux, even with an X windomanager, look,  even
> maybe behave, enough like DOS to keep you happy.

You can run dosbox and play old dos games and apps on Linux.

> BTW, CD "labels": Do (data) CDs and DVDs have some kind of unique ID
> number, volume label or the like, such that I can determine from
> software which CD is in a drive?  Some way other than parsing a
> directory listing?

You would need to mount the CD/DVD or you can view a recent iso,
just change the value for the -i option -  (ie.  /dev/dvd or xxx.iso )

isoinfo -d -i /dev/cdrom | awk -F ": "  '/Volume id/{print $2}'

> I want to partially automate playing some assorted videos given me by
> a Windoes user who named all the files using spaces and punctuation.
> Consider filenames like:
>
>     Joe "Mac" MacKenzie's movie, "F!*& it" (1967-8) CD1.avi

If in Bash, type a few matching letters and hit TAB, often times Bash
can do the escaping for you.

As for script, send me an email with what you want to do.  It can be
done from cmd line,
even with a one-liner, however, if you get into sub lots of chars, it
might be better
to write a script so you can comment and such.

If you want to use command line, get all the filenames you want to
rename into a file, one file per line.
I would strip a lot of the odd characters - especially the * & and quotes:

add the filename to testfile1

perl -lne '$o=$_;(@f)=split //;for(@f){$File.=(m{[A-Za-z0-9./()-]})? $_
: "_" } print $File' testfile1

Joe__Mac__MacKenzie_s_movie___F_/.wine/drive_c/windows/temp/_it__(1967-8)_CD1.avi

to rename you can use the 'name' cmd:   name $o, $File

The matching regex is mostly characters you want to allow in the filename.

Rich