[nSLUG] Re: Stage Lighting

Mike Spencer mspencer at tallships.ca
Thu Jan 29 03:47:08 AST 2009

Richard "***"  Bonner <ak621 at chebucto.ns.ca> wrote:

> PS: Linux people, please don't kill me; I fear I have inadvertently
> hijacked the group.  (-:

That's okay, Richard, because we know we might be about to convert you
to Slackware any month now. :-) For a long time I made MS-DOS look as
much like Unix as possible (awk, perl, Jove, GNUish utils etc.)  I'm
sure we could make Linux, even with an X windomanager, look,  even
maybe behave, enough like DOS to keep you happy.

BTW, CD "labels": Do (data) CDs and DVDs have some kind of unique ID
number, volume label or the like, such that I can determine from
software which CD is in a drive?  Some way other than parsing a
directory listing?

I want to partially automate playing some assorted videos given me by
a Windoes user who named all the files using spaces and punctuation.
Consider filenames like:

    Joe "Mac" MacKenzie's movie, "F!*& it" (1967-8) CD1.avi

Just getting the quoting and escapes on that so the shell won't have a
cow is bad enough.  But then mplayer still treats a properly quoted
filename with spaces as separate words, i.e. as multiple filenames.  I
have a workaround (-playlist) that works but I'd like to ID a DVD disk
from a shell or perl script and don't know an easy way.

- Mike

                                                           /V\