[nSLUG] Richard Stallman in Halifax

Daniel Morrison draker at gmail.com
Wed Jan 28 01:29:22 AST 2009

2009/1/28 Daniel Enman <microburn at gmail.com>:
> So everyone who went... do tell for those of us who couldn't make it for one
> reason or another. How was it?

It was 2 hours, 14 minutes, and eleven seconds from the start of
introductions to when the stage dissolved into a mass of people
collecting free stickers, immediately following the end of questions.

It was thoroughly enjoyable, a few laughs, a relatively fast-paced
tour through the philosophies of Free Software (although it did seem
to bog down a little during the "Gnu-slash-Linux" plea).

The audience was large, generally receptive and well-mannered -- very
quiet. I don't know the official count.  My completely wild guess
would be 500 or more.

Nothing he said was particularly new (although there were topical
jokes: Bush couldn't recognize freedom even after he crushed it). But
the presentation was thorough and well-presented. An excellent
introduction as well as a good review.

There followed a long line-up for autographs, at which point I left --
about 9:45pm.

-D.