[nSLUG] OT e-commerce gateways opinions

Miles Thompson miles at allnovascotia.com
Sat Jan 24 10:51:02 AST 2009

At 12:02 PM 1/23/2009, Pat wrote:
>Anybody got good/bad comments about online ecommerce gateways?
>PSIGate seems to have some good chatter on the web and are cheaper than
>TD's Online Mart website prices per month, (The 2 I've checked so far!)
>I thought, surely some here have setup ecommerce sites and have an
>opinion on who to look into, I am setting it up for a not for profit org
>and would like to save as much money as possible
>
>Thanks, Pat
>
>--
>"Life's a Reach, Then You Gybe"

We use Beanstream (TD Online Mart) for one client, and World Pay
(Royal Bank of Scotland) for ourselves because we need currencies
that Beanstream does not support.

Beanstream wins - hands down. Supports cURL, good connection, really
clear API, and we have never, never, never had a time out. Really
easy to do a custom interface. We are not using the Online Mart store.

World Pay? Despite its reputation, the size of the bank supporting
it,  the thing is ante-diluvian. Your customer is always taken to the
WP site to complete the transaction (although you can drape your logo
there, etc.) and although we have not had failed transactions, if
there is a perceived delay in returning the customer to our site the
process concludes on theirs, and we receive an email warning about a time out.

Don't know about PSIGate. We also investigated the online side of
Moneris - to get information was like pulling teeth they are so
hard-wired towards on-site terminals.

Our general experience with most of the online gateways is that the
web site promises a lot, it is very difficult to find someone who can
provide straightforward information, when you do it is often
confusing - with a three way split between the site, the sales rep
and tech support. And the documentation may or may not be current.

Hope this helps - Miles.

PS Better to gybe cleanly than to broach. <g>