[nSLUG] Chebucto Security

Richard Bonner ak621 at chebucto.ns.ca
Fri Jan 23 11:41:05 AST 2009

On Thu, 22 Jan 2009, Daniel Morrison wrote:

> 2009/1/22 Richard Bonner <ak621 at chebucto.ns.ca>:
>> On Wed, 21 Jan 2009, Daniel Morrison wrote:
>
>>> "Any other ISP" (i.e. the way _most_ other people do it nowadays, with
>>> cable or DSL modems):
>>
>> ***   Actually, that is not the case. There are many that cannot
>> afford the gouged prices Canadians pay for wide bandwidth
>> connections. Then there are the millions that are outside the
>> service areas and must use dial-up.
>
> I was imprecise.  Dial-up with PPP is equivalent to cable or DSL, for
> the purposes of 'where the encryption end-points are'.

***   OK, understood.

> Canada has some of the lowest broadband prices in the world, and until
> recently, lower than the US.
>
> http://www.wired.com/special_multimedia/2007/st_atlas_1509
>
> This link doesn't include Canada, but my calculation puts Canada on
> par with Norway (15 Mbps service from Eastlink at $60/month = $4/Mb of
> service):
>
> http://www.dailywireless.org/2007/07/09/global-broadband-cost-comparison-2/
>
> -D.

***   This contradicts the "Marketplace" piece on high speed and one
other thing I saw about broadband costs in Canada. I think the latter
was in a business magazine. Essentially they said that speeds in
Canada were far slower and more expensive than in other areas. I
recall Asia being touted as a better example.

    I will review the links you gave; perhaps things have changed.

  Richard