[nSLUG] Chebucto Security

Daniel Morrison draker at gmail.com
Thu Jan 22 13:42:13 AST 2009

2009/1/22 Richard Bonner <ak621 at chebucto.ns.ca>:
> On Wed, 21 Jan 2009, Daniel Morrison wrote:

>> "Any other ISP" (i.e. the way _most_ other people do it nowadays, with
>> cable or DSL modems):
>
> ***   Actually, that is not the case. There are many that cannot
> afford the gouged prices Canadians pay for wide bandwidth
> connections. Then there are the millions that are outside the
> service areas and must use dial-up.

I was imprecise.  Dial-up with PPP is equivalent to cable or DSL, for
the purposes of 'where the encryption end-points are'.

Canada has some of the lowest broadband prices in the world, and until
recently, lower than the US.

http://www.wired.com/special_multimedia/2007/st_atlas_1509

This link doesn't include Canada, but my calculation puts Canada on
par with Norway (15 Mbps service from Eastlink at $60/month = $4/Mb of
service):

http://www.dailywireless.org/2007/07/09/global-broadband-cost-comparison-2/

-D.