[nSLUG] Netscape

Richard Bonner ak621 at chebucto.ns.ca
Sat Jan 17 20:04:59 AST 2009

On Sat, 17 Jan 2009, George N. White III wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 17, 2009 at 3:27 PM, Mike Spencer <mspencer at tallships.ca> wrote:
>> gnw> ...but if you have a credit card and don't check for bogus
>> gnw> transactions every few days you may have trouble (this happened
>> gnw> to someone I know) when someone manages to buy a dozen Dell
>> gnw> systems on your card...
>>
>> That would require visiting a web site that is (or looks very like ;-)
>> the CC company's site?  And exchanging passwords, secret handshakes
>> etc. over the net?  Now it becomes a statistcal (if you have lots of
>> data) or a subjective liklihood (if you don't) problem.  Where does
>> the greatest risk lie?  I don't have a CC.  My wife has one but, now
>> that she's retired, it's used maybe a dozen times or fewer in a year.
>
> Some banks have a phone interface that would be good for someone with
> very few transactions.   I don't think the interface is much use to crooks
> unless they are inside the bank and can "hide" the transactions (that
> actually happened to me!).
> --
> George N. White

***   That reminds me of the bank employee in England that arranged
for rounding off averages (or something similar) to be funneled to
an account he had set up. With millions of transactions, even at a
penny a time, he soon became very rich.

    When anyone discovered a discrepancy in one's account and queried
the bank, he was the employee to whom those customers were sent! He
feigned an audit and admitted the mistake, whereupon he reimbursed the
account from his account, all the while skillfully hiding it from bank
examiners. He was eventually caught, but I don't remember how.

  Richard