[nSLUG] Found: Lost laptop

D G Teed donald.teed at gmail.com
Fri Jan 9 10:07:46 AST 2009

On Thu, Jan 8, 2009 at 7:38 PM, Colin Conrad <cmconrad79 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I work for the taxi company.  It has been there for some time now and no
> one has called looking for it.  My boss asked if I might be able to find
> the user.  I thought that where it has Debian 5.0 that the best spot I
> could post a lost Linux machine was the NSLUG mailing list.   I thought
> that someone here might either own it or know the person that does.
>
> I also plan on taking it to the NSLUG meeting.
>
> Cheers,
> Colin

I think the NSLUG meeting is a good place to work on this.
You've done well to know or learn of this user's group.
I don't think people here should assume you are comfortable
trying to boot Linux from a CDROM to dig further.
It is relatively easy, but for someone with no prior Linux experience
there are a number of steps to engage.  It would
require you to download CDROM an ISO image, burn
(as ISO, not as data as many people do the first time),
boot from the CDROM, use the Unix command line
tools (or X Windows apps) to look in several places for clues.

It is something which is much easier for people who work withthis
all the time and already have Linux boot CDROMs on hand.

It is a great "community" project demonstrating the extent of
good will in our group.