[nSLUG] Found: Lost laptop

Stephen Gregory nslug at kernelpanic.ca
Thu Jan 8 19:19:53 AST 2009

Ashley George wrote:

> The only thing that would be compromised would be the password itself -- all the other data on that machine is probably accessible by putting in a rescue CD.

Linux laptops should be installed with an encrypted root. Support for
full disk encryption (except /boot) has been in Debian and Ubuntu for a
while. I imagine the other distros must support it too. My only
complaint is that (last I checked) you needed to use the alternate
install cd when installing Ubuntu. It should be easier.

--
sg