[nSLUG] Crypt in Perl

D G Teed donald.teed at gmail.com
Wed Jan 7 21:43:12 AST 2009

On Wed, Jan 7, 2009 at 9:30 PM, Daniel Morrison <draker at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2009/1/7 D G Teed <donald.teed at gmail.com>:
> > On Wed, Jan 7, 2009 at 5:40 PM, George N. White III <gnwiii at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >> Did you try using the encrypted password as the salt?
> > No I did not.  Why would I use that?
>
> 2009/1/7 George N. White III <gnwiii at gmail.com>:
> > <http://docs.python.org/library/crypt.html>: "Since a few crypt(3)
> > extensions allow different values, with different sizes in the salt,
> > it is recommended to use the full crypted password as salt when
> > checking for a password.
>
> Gotcha! :-)

You must have mistaken me for a web developer.  I'm just
a Sysadmin, trying not to cause discomfort for users.
We are after seamless changes here, not announcements
that everyone needs to change their password (that is
what they would expect of phishers anyway).

I'm just migrating a legacy unsupported application, which
we will likely be replacing soon, from one machine to another
so we can get rid of FreeBSD.