[nSLUG] Job Opportunity at Chalk

David Payne david at payneful.ca
Sun Feb 22 18:26:26 AST 2009

On Sun, 2009-02-22 at 17:06 -0400, Joshua B. wrote:
> Sending a MS Word document to a linux list certainly makes a
> statement. Perhaps the employer is saying: "I'm interested in your
> expertise but only on the condition that you're not overly attached to
> free-software or even open source ideology." Maybe the employer didn't
> even think about what they were saying - but even a thoughtless act
> betrays one's assumptions and expectations.

Hi,

I think it's important to remember that the people who subscribe to this
list is diverse.  This is Nova Scotia Linux User Group.  That means that
the people on this list most likely has some connection to Linux.  The
list doesn't say that all members has to swear by free software ideals.
It doesn't make any assumption about how a person feels about free
software, or anything else for that mater.

I quickly looked at the Job Opportunity and yes, it does require some
Linux experience.  I'm sure that some people here might be interested in
such a position.  Not everybody is interested, just like every other
topic on this list.

Some people implied that sending a MS Word document to the list was
wrong.  I myself don't think that it is particularly wrong, since it
really isn't a large attachment, and if anyone thinks it is wrong they
can just delete the file off their own computer.  Much like when RMS
used the XO from OLPC for his personal computer but removed the wireless
driver because it contained proprietary code.  I think the benefits of
having Linux related job postings sent to this list outweighs the minor
incontinence of having others delete a file because they don't agree
with it.  That is, unless there is some unknown (to me) rule about what
can or can't be sent to the list.

David