[nSLUG] Job Opportunity at Chalk

Joshua B. juggins at gmail.com
Sun Feb 22 17:06:40 AST 2009

On Sun, Feb 22, 2009 at 2:12 PM, Hatem Nassrat <hnassrat at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 22, 2009 at 1:30 PM, William Lachance <wrlach at gmail.com> wrote:
>> sending an MS Word
>> document to a Linux mailing list shows a lack of knowledge (or lack of
>> consideration?) of the audience involved.

Sending a MS Word document to a linux list certainly makes a
statement. Perhaps the employer is saying: "I'm interested in your
expertise but only on the condition that you're not overly attached to
free-software or even open source ideology." Maybe the employer didn't
even think about what they were saying - but even a thoughtless act
betrays one's assumptions and expectations.

> I don't see why sending an ".odt" would have been any better than the
> format that was sent. Not all linux users use open office (or
> similar), and not all of them use the mouse to operate their machines.

An ".odt" (and arguably even a .pdf) could not easily be construed to
convey the message above.

I for one would not be in favour of posting guidelines about what sort
of documents people should send to the list. I think everyone who
chooses to post has ample oportunity to think for themselves, to
consider their audience and their objectives and conduct themselves
accordingly.