[nSLUG] Job Opportunity at Chalk

Hatem Nassrat hnassrat at gmail.com
Sun Feb 22 10:45:28 AST 2009

On Sun, Feb 22, 2009 at 8:57 AM, George N. White III <gnwiii at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 21, 2009 at 6:57 PM, D G Teed <donald.teed at gmail.com> wrote:
> In the real world, dealing with documents in proprietary formats or
> that rely on Asian versions of Windows is a fact of life.

This is 100% true. It is hard to convince people to switch there
document formats or even to stick to UTF-8 for their encodings.
Telling people that the software they are using is not good enough is
a touchy subject (I know this being an advocate of Firefox and
OpenOffice).

>> If someone sends me a document which is proprietary format and
>> I have no tool to view it in a human readable format, I either ask

I do not see this as being an issue. Hackers have written software
that deals with popular formats. I am yet to find a piece of widely
used format without a Linux application to view or edit it (I am not
saying there isn't, just that I do not know any).

>> If there are many people who do care about the format of job postings
>> attachments, perhaps a sentence about the preferred format can be
>> placed on the nSLUG wiki or wherever it is that employers learn of this

I do not see that anyone has to go that far in terms of forcing people
to use a certain format. What I do dislike though, is employers asking
for the resume in "A particular format" that is sometimes hard to
create. I would think that at least in the technical field, that PDF
would be the standard, since I would guess that most people write
their resumes in (La)Tex.

Personally to create "The particular format", I wrote a script that
sanitized the output of http://hutchinson.belmont.ma.us/tth/, to
create an HTML version, which was then opened up in OpenOffice and
saved. Well, as a  by product I got a nice looking HTML resume, so
maybe the challenge was not a bad thing :-).

--
Hatem Nassrat