[nSLUG] Job Opportunity at Chalk

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Sun Feb 22 08:57:02 AST 2009

On Sat, Feb 21, 2009 at 6:57 PM, D G Teed <donald.teed at gmail.com> wrote:

> Political correctness of open source objectives aside, I would wonder
> what potential employers think of the debate and how it reflects
> on this user community.
>
> I just want to state that not everyone on this LUG spends their time and
> energy on fretting about such things.  Personally, I would prefer
> more universally accessible document formats, but I would not let
> the issue get in the way of just getting things done.

Or of getting a job!

I work with a couple international scientific NGO's.  They hold meetings
and prepare reports with contributions from scientists spread around
the globe.  The vast majority use WIndows, and all the reports are in
english, but many work in languages other than english, so you get
english text in a document whose language is set to Japanese, Korean,
etc.

In the real world, dealing with documents in proprietary formats or
that rely on Asian versions of Windows is a fact of life.

> If someone sends me a document which is proprietary format and
> I have no tool to view it in a human readable format, I either ask
> the sender to resend with another format I can use, or I seek the
> free viewer on a Windows platform if possible.
>
> If there are many people who do care about the format of job postings
> attachments, perhaps a sentence about the preferred format can be
> placed on the nSLUG wiki or wherever it is that employers learn of this
> list, or perhaps in the greeting when then join the list.  It might save the
> topic
> from being hijacked, and employers from turned off from the list.

Potential employers may not have anyone who can tell them how
to produce documents that can be read on other systems.   There
are many people who are afraid to use PDF (either because they
have been told it is proprietary to Adobe and they have to buy
expensive software to use it or because they have been told it is
a security risk).  There are many small businesses that rely heavily
on computers (law offices, small engineering or manufacturing)
and are at the mercy of cousin Vinny's nephew for computing support.
After nearly losing the business due a Windows virus, they decide to
hire someone to clean up the mess.

In short, a business that posts job offerings in .doc format may not
realise that could be a problem, and if that is a problem for you as
a prospective employee, then you don't want that job.  It also tells
you something about the business that may be helpful in deciding
how to approach the job.

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia