[nSLUG] Job Opportunity at Chalk

Michael Crawford mdcrawford at gmail.com
Sat Feb 21 18:42:55 AST 2009

On Sat, Feb 21, 2009 at 11:12 AM, Mike Spencer <mspencer at tallships.ca> wrote:

> It opens cleanly in /usr/bin/strings, too.
>
> Using the word "open" in this way is allowing MS to take control of
> the dialog.  Alas, doing so is now nearly ubiquitous.
>
> In Linux, we open(2) and then we can do *anything we want* with the
> contents of a file...

Front Page When This Goes To Vote.

It happens that I'm about to embark on a pretty serious Windows
project.  But Metrowerks CodeWarrior, my favorite development product,
is no longer available for desktop platforms, just embedded systems.

So it was with an acid burn in the pit of my stomach that I began
downloading all the updates for Visual Studio 2005 and for Windows XP.

I am quite certain that the reason IDEs get such a bad rap from the
Open Source community is that the only IDE most Open Sources have ever
tried is Visual Studio.  While it *has* improved over the years,
Visual Studio's "improvement" has only served to take it from utterly
contemptible to barely tolerable on alternate Tuesdays.

CodeWarrior was not that way, and I still weep whenever I think of its loss.

I just assumed there was no other alternative.  It's hard for a
product as complex as an Integrated Development Environment to compete
against an IDE that comes for free with the Microsoft Developer
Network, something most Windows coders have to buy anyway.

But out of desperation I Googled for Windows C++ compilers, and came
across a page whose author that claimed that MingW was his tool of
choice for Win32 coding - it's the GNU toolchain for native Windows
coding.

I've known about MingW for years, but the last time I tried it out, I
was unable to get a bunch of really basic stuff to work at all.  But
that was in 2001 I think.  It seems that MingW come a long ways since
then.

I tried out Eclipse once too, but it was dog-slow on my 667 MHz PIII
box.  But I have a Core Quad Xeon now with eight gig of memory, and
sockets for another Core Quad and a total of sixty-four gig.  I expect
that Eclipse has come a long ways since that one time I tried it as
well.

So it was with great joy that I downloaded the Eclipse build for C and
C++ development, and the MingW installer.

I don't know yet whether it's really going to work out for me, but
you'll be sure to hear if it does, because I'll be hiring the Air
Force to drop leaflets about it over every major city on the planet.

    http://www.mingw.org/

    http://www.eclipse.org/

My Xeon box runs Fedora 10, not Windows.  For my Windows work, I'll be
running XP in a Xen DomU.

I understand you can also run MingW under Linux as a cross-compiler.

Ever Faithful,

Mike
--
Michael David Crawford