[nSLUG] Re: Netscape (progress but stumped again)

Mike Spencer mspencer at tallships.ca
Sat Feb 14 15:32:23 AST 2009

Daniel Morrison <draker at gmail.com> wrote:

> Quick shot in the dark... I see you talk about locale files and
> directories, but never the 'locale' command (and associated ENV
> variables) itself.

Well, I've fiddled around with various values for $LANG, $LC_ALL and
the other LC_* envars to no avail.

> Might this change NN behaviour?

Doesn't seem to.  Of course, there could be a genuine bug in NN,
couldn't there? :-)

> If I ssh to a redhat box, any man page has junk in it because they
> use "special" quotes and dashes, etc. (is this an MSWin infection?).

No, I don't think so. I think it's what nroff -man does.  Long ago I
had to fix up a custon filter for lprng [1] so I could print manpages with
"lpr -P man" that would fix those hyphens, else they came out as (I
for get) octal code or two chars or something.

"man -P cat" in a dumb terminal (such as M-x shell inside emacs) shows
them.

I found one guy in Russia who has at least *tried* to use NN under
Slack 12.1.  I'm hoping he may have enough interest to make something
of the latest error message,

    netscape: locale `C' not supported.
        Perhaps the $XNLSPATH environment variable is not set
        correctly?
    Bus error

Gotta go check alt.os.linux.slackware. :-\

- Mike

[1] Yeah, I know: CUPS.  Only it took me hours, last time I upgraded,
    to determine conclusively CUPS didn;t support my old laser printer.
    Reverted to lprng until the printer dies, which it hasn't yet.

                                                           /V\