[nSLUG] Netscape (progress but stumped again)

Daniel Morrison draker at gmail.com
Fri Feb 13 11:29:34 AST 2009

2009/2/12 Mike Spencer <mspencer at tallships.ca>:
> I understand the purpose of the locale stuff but not how it works,
> particularly not how file formats can/do/should/may differ in several
> separate directories.

I'm with you there.

Quick shot in the dark... I see you talk about locale files and
directories, but never the 'locale' command (and associated ENV
variables) itself.

If I type 'locale' on a slack 12.* box, I get:

$ locale
LANG=en_US
LC_CTYPE="en_US"
...and so on.

If I then type:

$ LANG=C
$ locale
LANG=C
LC_CTYPE="C"
...and so on.

Might this change NN behaviour?

I actually do this quite regularly, because I use rxvt, which has old,
non-special-character fonts. If I ssh to a redhat box, any man page
has junk in it because they use "special" quotes and dashes, etc. (is
this an MSWin infection?).  Typing 'LANG=C' fixes the problem. (I
don't seem to have this problem with any man pages in Slackware
though).

-D.

PS: One day I'll get around to upgrading to rxvt-unicode, and all my
troubles should go away. One day...