[nSLUG] Re: Netscape (progress but stumped again)

Mike Spencer mspencer at tallships.ca
Thu Feb 12 03:25:58 AST 2009

Re. running Netscape Navigator 4.7{6,9}:

Slackware docs say that Slack includes numerous libs so that older
binaries will run.  Why wouldn't NN?  I finally realized that what
ldd on Slack 12.1 was reporting wasn't => to the older libs, e.g.,

    libICE.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libICE.so.6 (0xb7f09000)

Although that's exactly what ldd shows under Slack 10.1, it wasn't
okay under Slack 12.1.

So I created a script that has a line like:

   setenv LD_PRELOAD '/usr/i386-slackware-linux-gnulibc1/lib/libXt.so.6 ...

such that, for every lib reported by "ldd netscape" and for which a
version exists in /usr/i386-slackware-linux-gnulibc1/lib/, an explicit
path to the latter was inserted into the LD_PRELOAD envar.

In a clean xterm, if I source that script, ldd then shows (e.g.):

    /usr/i386-slackware-linux-gnulibc1/lib/libICE.so.6 (0xb7f45000)

After that, NN 4.76 starts and *does not* segfault without
explanation.

But......then I get this:

    netscape: locale `C' not supported.
        Perhaps the $XNLSPATH environment variable is not set
        correctly?
    Bus error

The locale files on Slack 12.1 seem to be different from those on
Slack 10.1.  But no matter what reasonable value I assign to
$XNLSPATH, (including full path to a directory tree of
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/locale copied over from the Slack 10.1 box), NN
still quits with that error message.

I understand the purpose of the locale stuff but not how it works,
particularly not how file formats can/do/should/may differ in several
separate directories.

I can't change the Slack 12.1 symlink in /usr/lib/X11

     locale -> /usr/share/locale

to point to the copied, older directory tree because other programs
(presumably) depend on that. (And /usr/X11R6/foo are defunct, consisting
now only of symlinks into /usr/foo.)

The contents of:

    /usr/lib/locale
    /usr/lib/X11/locale
    /usr/share/locale

are all different and differ, as well, from the dir tree on Slack 10.1
where NN works fine. And none of those put into $XNLSPATH makes a
difference.

Obviously, I'm confused.  Any suggestions?

- Mike

PS: Just to confuse things a bit more, strings `which netscape`
reveals the following chunk:

%s: locale `%s' not supported by Xlib; trying `C'.
%s: locale `C' not supported.
%s: locale `C' not supported either.
	If the $XNLSPATH directory does not contain the proper config files,
	%s will crash the first time you try to paste into a text
	field.  (This is a bug in the X11R5 libraries against which this
	program was linked.)
	Since neither X11R4 nor X11R6 come with these config files, we have
	included them with the %s distribution.  The normal place
	for these files is %s.
    If you can't create that
	directory, you should set the $XNLSPATH environment variable to
	point at the place where you installed the files.
	Perhaps the $XNLSPATH environment variable is not set correctly?

I don't seemt to have any such NN-distribution "config files" nor any
files with X11R5 in their names on the Slack 10.1 box where NN is
working fine.

                                                           /V\