[nSLUG] wrt54gl router

Paul Badcock wes902 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 9 10:56:26 AST 2009

> you can install 'any' version of dd-wrt, however the notes then go on
> to indicate that you cannot install the 'MEGA' version.

I can confirm this (running a load of the WRT54GL's). One point I'd
like to bring up is the processor clock speed on the WRT54GL is quite
low and it's noticeable in DD-WRT. I personally run a modified tomato
firmware with OpenVPN support
(http://www.linksysinfo.org/forums/showthread.php?t=53233) which gives
me all the features I need with a very nice UI/graphs. The generic
tomato firmware is http://www.polarcloud.com/tomato

If your looking for another alternative as the GL's can be more
expensive. Check out the WRT54G2 as its compatible with micro-plus and
is a decent alternative (note: I'm sure there's a 512 connection
limit, but it has a fast processor) as its quite accessible at most
stores on sale. Note you will require vxworks, tftp setup and
hopefully no bricking ;) Full details of the process
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linksys_WRT54G2