[nSLUG] gNewSense drivers question

Ian Campbell ian at slu.ms
Sat Feb 7 16:08:39 AST 2009

On Sat, Feb 07, 2009 at 03:52:15PM -0400, Rich wrote:

> The BCM5705M Gigabit network card uses tg3 module.
> Should come with kernel.

It did. It was removed, functionality is less important than freedom
apparently.

http://wiki.gnewsense.org/ForumMain/NetworkCardsWillNotWork

Going from this link, there's a "freed" version of the driver with
proprietary code removed. Obviously this removes some functionality as
well -- people posting there say it works, but there's no discussion
that I see of what was removed.

More details here: http://forums.blagblagblag.org/viewtopic.php?t=4621

> The Intel 2915ABG Wireless card
>
> http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?ProductID=1637&DwnldID=11780&lang=eng
> There is a note about using the ipw2200 module
> But I don't know how *free* it is.

Like the 2100, the 2200 has binary firmware blobs -- I don't use it or
anything, but I'm pretty sure those won't be in gnewsense either.