[nSLUG] amd athlon cpu...

D G Teed donald.teed at gmail.com
Sat Feb 7 04:41:45 AST 2009

On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 10:37 PM, Michael Gillie <mikegpc at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey everyone,
>
> I'm rarely on, but I have a small request. A family member is in a bit of a
> bind, and their old AMD Athlon 64 socket 754 cpu is dead. It dates back to
> 2001, and it's getting extremely difficult to find the parts. At this point,
> a new PC is out of the question for them.
>
> Can anyone assist?
>
> Thanks in advance,

TigerDirect has old CPUs like this:

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/category/category_slc.asp?CatId=1951&name=AMD-Sempron-Socket-754-Processor&

If you decide the motherboard is suspect as well, bundles are offered as
well,
but never with retail CPUs at Tiger Direct.  I prefer robitnik or one of the
nxsource off shoots
(ncix, tddirect, etc.) for retail CPU and heatsink.  Some of the OEM
heatsinks
are expensive, or loud, or will fail in a year.  Newegg.ca is another
possibility
but they have a crappy one week from invoice date return policy on the CPU
for shipping damage, which isn't going to work when shipping from California
(comments about this on their site).