[nSLUG] gNewSense drivers question

Aaron Spanik a.spanik at ns.sympatico.ca
Fri Feb 6 19:17:02 AST 2009

On Fri, 6 Feb 2009 19:11:10 +0000
Ian Campbell <ian at slu.ms> wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 06, 2009 at 02:26:17PM -0400, Rich wrote:
> >
> > Intel 2100
> > ---------------
> > May have firmware issues as well.
> >
> > http://ipw2100.sourceforge.net/
>
> That has a binary firmware blob, I used to have one in an Inspiron
> 8600. I don't *think* there are too many wireless cards that meet
> RMS's definition of free (maybe Atheros, not sure.)

These two links may be of some help:

http://www.fsf.org/resources/hw/net/wireless/cards.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_open_source_wireless_drivers

I know that there was a Gigabyte mini-pci available from Ncix for a
while that was RALink-based, but the only Gigabyte they have up now is
an Atheros-based mini-pci-e.  Depending on the vintage of the laptop,
mini-pci-e may be the most appropriate anyway.

/a

--
Aaron Spanik
a.spanik at ns.sympatico.ca