[nSLUG] gNewSense drivers question

Ian Campbell ian at slu.ms
Fri Feb 6 18:58:17 AST 2009

On Fri, Feb 06, 2009 at 06:33:04PM -0400, Jack Warkentin wrote:

> At the time I was investigating there *was* a wireless chip set with a
> Free Linux driver, namely, the RAlink RT2500. The laptop I bought in
> late 2005 has such a wireless card and I have been using the Free (in
> fact GPL'd) driver ever since. It is available at, for example,
>
> http://debian.yorku.ca/debian/pool/main/r/rt2500/

If memory serves, that's the original driver from Ralink itself and
it's not great: no SMP support, no wpa_supplicant support. There's a
rewrite, I think the driver's called rt2x00, which should fix those
issues.

While I don't think the rt2500 requires firmware (it's been a while, I
don't have the card anymore) there are several in the Ralink family
that do, so watch out if you're buying one and actually plan to stick
to your free-as-in-RMS guns.

Jack, you might want to check out rt2x00 instead.