[nSLUG] gNewSense drivers question

Jack Warkentin jwark at eastlink.ca
Fri Feb 6 18:33:04 AST 2009

Hi everybody

When I started investigating laptops 4 or 5 years ago, the question
wasn't just, was there a Free wireless driver? but, was there a wireless
driver at all? I discovered that Jean Tourrilhes of Hewlett Packard in
France was the recognized expert in this area. See

http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Jean_Tourrilhes/Linux/Wireless.html

At the time I was investigating there *was* a wireless chip set with a
Free Linux driver, namely, the RAlink RT2500. The laptop I bought in
late 2005 has such a wireless card and I have been using the Free (in
fact GPL'd) driver ever since. It is available at, for example,

http://debian.yorku.ca/debian/pool/main/r/rt2500/

Regards

Jack