[nSLUG] gNewSense drivers question

Rich budman85 at eastlink.ca
Fri Feb 6 14:26:17 AST 2009

Ian Campbell wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 06, 2009 at 09:29:58AM -0400, Colin Conrad wrote:
>
>> I have just installed gNewSence, which is a Free, as in the Richard
>> Stallman sense of Free, GNU/Linux distro, on my Dell Latitude D600
>> laptop and I can not get either the wireless or the LAN card
>> recognized.  I am wondering if anyone can anyone point me in the
>> direction of a place to download the drivers?
>>

> In all likelihood the drivers aren't considered free and aren't
> included/available...

Its very possible.   Most wireless adapter use ndiswrapper and the
Windows DLLs .
A quick search shows the Dell D600 may use either:

BCM4306
----------------------
The site notes that the firmware needed is copyrighted from Broadcom.
You need the proprietary drivers so the firmware can be extracted.

http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/b43

Intel 2100
May have firmware issues as well.

http://ipw2100.sourceforge.net/