[nSLUG] How to make users from certain subnets go to a voting website?

D G Teed donald.teed at gmail.com
Fri Feb 6 12:48:17 AST 2009

On Fri, Feb 6, 2009 at 12:23 PM, Rich <budman85 at eastlink.ca> wrote:

> I would look into Squid proxy server.
>
> It can be setup for passthru transparent proxy.
> You would need to make it the new gateway.
> Can help with web too - add caching.
>
> You can check the requestor IP coming in,
> and redirect tot he voting server/app.
> However, you would need some
> type of cookie to keep track of who voted.
> Maybe check that before redirecting.
>

> I think it would be like content filtering,
> where you log web site access and can
> deny certain sites - NetNanny or SurfPatrol... etc..
>
> So something like:
>
> Users  ->   SquidProxy  ->  VotingApp if applies -> Main Gateway
>
> The DHCP would need to be updated with the squid GW,
> that way you can keep the main GW.  I would also restrict
> access from the main GW to only the Squid GW, avoid bypass.
>

> Hope this helps
> Rich

Thanks for this solution path.

I've never played with squid proxy before but I had
the vague notion this could be a solution.  It is good to know
about anyway.  If we had more time this might have been
implemented but with less than a week away we won't
have enough time, unless we put in Herculean efforts, which
isn't judged to be worthwhile.

Thanks again for describing and looking into that.

--Donald