[nSLUG] How to make users from certain subnets go to a voting website?

D G Teed donald.teed at gmail.com
Fri Feb 6 09:33:11 AST 2009

At our institution, we already use Netreg for authenticating users
to add their own hardware to our host management (inserts them
in dhcp tables and issues a useful DNS rather than a DNS which
directs them only to the Netreg site).

Now we have a request from the student union to do something similar
for a voting website.  They want all students to be forced to visit
a web page and vote before they can do anything else on the network.

I can't see how we could do this and keep netreg and our host management
system working.

It is expected to be enforcing only in common areas, residences, and such
subnets
which would not effect business functions.

I'm not sure if there are other solutions to a problem like this, perhaps in
router
set up, proxy, etc.  Has anyone worked on a problem like this before
or have an idea how to tackle it?

--Donald