[nSLUG] DVD drive with no CD audio (and now udev)

Daniel Morrison draker at gmail.com
Thu Feb 5 16:08:41 AST 2009

2009/2/5 Mike Spencer <mspencer at tallships.ca>:
> The new LG drive *does* have the same 4-pin analog audio output
> connector on the back so I reasonably expected it to be functional.
> Now that I'm reminded by Rich that "many of the new drives use the IDE
> interface to send the audio signal", I've groveled through the
> marketing bumpf returned by google and found a manual from lge.com.
> Right: There *is* a 4-pin analog audio plug but it's "not supported",
> i.e., as my rural neighbors say, it's as "useless as tits on a boar
> pig."

...LG put the analog audio connector on the drive, but it does not do
anything??  AUggh!!!
That's just not fair.

> But this box has *two* CD-type drives.

> So I re-jiggered
> /etc/fstab and ~/.alias, created some symlinks like /dev/dvd ->
> /dev/hdc and /dev/cdrom -> /dev/sr0.

> But when I re-booted today, JHFC, something -- udev, I assume -- has
> "fixed" all that for me, reorganizing /dev to suit itself: /dev/dvd is
> gone, /dev/cdrom now points once again to /dev/hdc.  Both /etc/fstab
> and several aliases that reference the CD drives are now meaningless.

> WTF?!!  How do I reclaim control of symlinks in /dev?  Do I have to
> learn the (apparently messy or at least tedious) semantics for writing
> udev rules and edit files in /etc/udev/rules.d?

I share your pain. I've been shown how to edit those udev rules in the
past (more than once) but it just doesn't seem to stick. So I don't
know...

> Add "ln -s" lines to rc.local?

Sounds like a nasty kludge, but I bet it would work!

> Or is reinstallation without udev (if that's even possible)
> the only way to create symlinks in /dev to suit myself?

You can chmod 644 /etc/rc.d/rc.udev, and reboot.

> I haven't asked *this* question before, have I, Daniel?

Nope, we're definitely in new territory now!  :)

-D.