[nSLUG] DVD drive with no CD audio

Daniel Morrison draker at gmail.com
Wed Feb 4 20:21:42 AST 2009

2009/2/4 Mike Spencer <mspencer at tallships.ca>:
> Just bought a DVD drive: "Super Multi DVD Rewriter Model GH22 np20"
> under the LG  marque.
>
> Mounts a DVD data disk and plays .avi video files that are one it,
> complete with sound and subtitles using mplayer.
>
> But an ordinary audio CD produces no sound.  The drive spins up when
> the cdp command is issued but nothing comes out of the
> speakers. Nothing I do with the mixer (aumix) changes this.

Uh, Mike, you asked this same question here:
http://nslug.ns.ca/pipermail/nslug/2008-October/011954.html

And I said: there should be an analog CD audio cable.
And Aaron Spanik said: "most of the CD/DVD drives you buy today no
longer even have
that connector on the back"...so you must do this digitally.

I don't know what 'cdp' is... if it's an alias for 'cdparanoia' then
perhaps you're already trying to do this digitally?  But it sure
sounds like with 'mplayer' you're playing a digital file (doesn't
matter if it's on a CD, DVD, USB stick, or streaming download), while
with an "audio CD", unless you're doing DAO digital extraction, just
telling the CD to "play" (e.g. with workbone) won't do anything but
make the light flash (and audio come out the drive's headphone jack,
if it has one).

If you are using cdparanoia to do DAO extraction, then surely there
are some interesting messages produced which you could post,
potentially helping someone else pinpoint the problem...

-D.