[nSLUG] DVD drive with no CD audio

Mike Spencer mspencer at tallships.ca
Wed Feb 4 19:41:41 AST 2009

Just bought a DVD drive: "Super Multi DVD Rewriter Model GH22 np20"
under the LG  marque.

Mounts a DVD data disk and plays .avi video files that are one it,
complete with sound and subtitles using mplayer.

But an ordinary audio CD produces no sound.  The drive spins up when
the cdp command is issued but nothing comes out of the
speakers. Nothing I do with the mixer (aumix) changes this.

Same box/OS plays audio CDs on the original CD drive just fine.

Is there some trick that everybody knows that I don't?  Some new
"feature" of recent hardware in general or LG in particular for which
there's a required workaround?  New DVD drives are hopeless?
Anything?

I bought a new Philips DVD drive/burner a year ago, stuck it into a
PIII with Slack 10.1 and it did everything perfectly: Audio CD, DVD,
.avi files in a data DVD, burn DVDs. That vendor (Source) no longer
has Philips (or any internal) IDE DVD drives.

This is a Dell P4 with newly installed Slack 12.1.  Is there some kink
in udev that would cause this failure? (Slack 12 has udev but I don't
understand what it's all about.)  Jeez, do I have to have *two* laser
drives just so I can do both DVDs and CD audio?

Quoth David Potter <dlpotter at eastlink.ca>:

> ...clearly not everyone is prepared (or able it seems... ;-) to
> think all the time.

I try but it doesn't always work.  Maybe I'll do a short rant on this
in another, more OT post.

- Mike

                                                           /V\