[nSLUG] Why GUI is important to Linux (was Data Recovery... )

Rich budman85 at eastlink.ca
Wed Feb 4 14:24:36 AST 2009

David Potter wrote:

> This has the feeling of one of those "for want of a nail..."
> situations...
>
> Over the holiday I installed a nvidia Geforce 7300 GT video card and
> on my Ununtu 8.04 system the monitor does not receive a signal until
> very near the end of the boot process...
>
> When I originally installed the video card I connected another monitor
> to the on-board video port and monitored the boot up process but after
> a while I turned it off and simply let the machine boot without paying
> attention until the Genforce produced output. This system serves as a
> data server for other machines so it is not re-booted very often.
>
> This was fine until one day I was looking at some older live
> distributions that were having trouble dealing with my hardware and I
> was using the 'system reset' to clear the way for the next cd...
>
> ...and then, tiring of that particular fun, I went back to my current
> install and when the system did not come up as quickly as I thought it
> should I pressed the damn button once too often!

Possible it detected the different monitor and added that into the
xorg.conf file.
Check the Monitor section in /etc/X11/xorg.conf to see what is set.
You can make a backup, and then run Xorg -configure to generate an update
by autodetecting your card.

What boot loader are you using - grub, lilo ?

Might be a setting in the config dropping the display to basic monitor,
or a setting your monitor doesn't understand.  Does the resolution
look limited or color depth?

I would disable the onboard display - might be an IRQ battle.
If you want to still use it, you may need to disable assigning display
to an IRQ.
The delay may be the onboard timing out, allowing the other card to kick
in when the BIOS PlugNPray code is initiated.

Rich