[nSLUG] Why GUI is important to Linux (was Data Recovery... )

Dop Ganger nslug at fop.ns.ca
Wed Feb 4 12:02:26 AST 2009

On Wed, 4 Feb 2009, David Potter wrote:

> When I originally installed the video card I connected another monitor to the
> on-board video port and monitored the boot up process but after a while I
> turned it off and simply let the machine boot without paying attention until
> the Genforce produced output.
[cut]
> If anyone has any insight into why the Geforce doesn't wake up quicker, or
> what I could do to encourage it to wake up sooner I'd be very interested. I
> have thought about disabling the on-board video but I'm hoping to find an
> explanation of why that needs to be done.

Sounds like the BIOS may be set to default to the onboard video and you
need to tell it to use the Geforce instead. Are there any BIOS options you
can set? The only alternative I can think of would be to use framebuffer
and redirect output onto that, but that will only take effect when the
boot loader starts - you'll miss out on any BIOS output.

Cheers... Dop.