[nSLUG] Rise & Fall of the PDA

Joshua B. juggins at gmail.com
Thu Aug 27 13:55:42 ADT 2009

On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 9:06 AM, Richard Bonner<ak621 at chebucto.ns.ca> wrote:

> On Thu, 27 Aug 2009, Johnathan Thibodeau wrote:
>> My solution: get someone else to do it. Chances are that my task will
>> come to me in email form anyway, so a Blackberry suits me just fine
>> (plus it's rugged enough to endure me habitually dropping it, God bless
>> them for that :) If someone asks me to do something that is important
>> (and usually only one person will ask me to do something, small office),
>> he gets the "Send it to me in an email."
>
> ***   I like e-mail too. It allows me to think about the issue and
> respond in a more leisurely manner.

My first personal productivity gain came about when I started thinking
of my email inbox as a task manager. Even before reading GTD I had
heard someone quote the formula for keeping the inbox empty: "Do,
Delegate, or Defer".[1]   The other thing to do is to get in the habit
of sending yourself emails.

[1] Do, Delegate, or Defer: when processing an inbox start at one end
and go through the list in one sitting if possible. DO: Every task
that can be done in 120 seconds or less should be done on the spot.
DELEGATE: If part or all of the task requires someone else to act,
transfer (be email or otherwise) the task to them immediately. DEFER:
Every other task should be deferred to either a project folder or a
calendar where you can come back to it with sufficient time.   (I
repeat this here in case there is a chance this brief description will
benefit some lurker as much as it did me when I first read it while
lurking on a mailing list.)