[nSLUG] Rise & Fall of the PDA

Richard Bonner ak621 at chebucto.ns.ca
Thu Aug 27 09:06:36 ADT 2009

On Thu, 27 Aug 2009, Johnathan Thibodeau wrote:

> Personally, my big problem with planners and PDAs (including the
> Hipster), is that there is actually work required in maintaining current
> data. I can never remember to put that all important piece of
> information on just the right page, or in just the right folder. It just
> doesn't occur to me at the time. Maybe this could be solved with one of
> those courses... maybe.

***   I have owned personal organisers starting in the 1980s with a
Casio model. I found the same thing regarding backups and data
transfer. it wasn't until I got my first laptop that it became easy to
transfer all that I needed from my desktop computers to a portable
device. It was handled by a simple DOS batch file that plunked
everything into the correct directories and overwrote only the old
information. I continue to use that method today because it works so
well.

    However, carting the laptop around for everyday purposes is too
much. I thought of buying a Palm LX which allows me to continue using
my DOS software, but never got around to it.

> It seems to me that if I were to actually spend the time to plan out and
> mark down all the tasks I have, I could have the tasks half completed by
> now. But that's just me. Maybe it seems like so much more work simply
> because I'm not accustomed to it.

***   I get the same sort of comments after I spend a week tweaking
some script file to automate some trivial task. However, my answer to
them and to you, Johnathan, is that it's worth the time spent because
preplanning makes the task flow smoothly with no blind alleys or
backtracking.

> My solution: get someone else to do it. Chances are that my task will
> come to me in email form anyway, so a Blackberry suits me just fine
> (plus it's rugged enough to endure me habitually dropping it, God bless
> them for that :) If someone asks me to do something that is important
> (and usually only one person will ask me to do something, small office),
> he gets the "Send it to me in an email."

***   I like e-mail too. It allows me to think about the issue and
respond in a more leisurely manner.

> As a backup, I just use the 'ol Headster (sorry). It may forget or delay
> tasks once in a while, but at least I can't forget it on the bus.

***   You might consider carrying a purse - women never seem to forget
them.  (-:

Richard