[nSLUG] Rise & Fall of the PDA

Joshua B. juggins at gmail.com
Thu Aug 27 00:54:40 ADT 2009

On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 9:17 PM, Richard Bonner<ak621 at chebucto.ns.ca> wrote:
> ***   It will all be obsolete soon enough when wireless, voice-command
> "thin clients" combine it all into one tiny device with all of the
> data and programs on some server somewhere. One will simply access it
> with any device - even a friend's. The device will cease to be a
> personal one and become just like any telephone. Enter the number and
> you are connected - except that number will be your own personal code.

Hmm, it hadn't thought about it as a goal per se, but what you
describe is exactly what I have been trying to achieve with my
project. Sort of "cloud" personal information management so to speak.
I originally thought of it as the cheapskate blackberry - but maybe
it's part of something bigger.

>    The best part is that you can forget it, lose it, even destroy it
> and anyone else's will be able to be used as if it was your own. The
> device will become just be another throw-away interface.

That is exactly right... it is the best part. The best practical
solution for human frailty.  If I wasn't apt to lose, forget and
destroy things I would hardly need a PDA of any kind.  So the most
critical feature of a PDA is (near) immunity from loss and
destruction.