[nSLUG] Rise & Fall of the PDA

Dop Ganger nslug at fop.ns.ca
Wed Aug 26 14:12:18 ADT 2009

On Sun, 23 Aug 2009, Daniel MacKay wrote:

> Does anyone remember the Palm?

Yes. I worked for USR when Palm was bought out, and still have my rev one
Palm, along with a Tungsten W (best mobile keyboard I've ever used) and
TX; the Treo 650 had to go back with my previous job, sadly, to be
inherited by Jeff Warnica.

> On the other hand, the Palm could be backed up, replicated, unlike my
> Daytimer which was once left on the roof of a taxi (but, I got it back!)
> -- part of the Palm's religion was that regular backups were no
> brainers, part of the charging system.

I took it a step further; I have a system based around Funambol which lets
me replicate all my information across my Palm, my phone, my server at
home and my work laptop. That way I can be device agnostic and still keep
up with what I'm doing, and not care overly much about hardware loss.

> Then, at a project planning meeting a few weeks ago, a consultant from
> a competing business -- pulls out his Hipster!  Then, a couple of
> weeks later, someone else!  I started thinking about this, because for
> the last five years, people have been looking at my Palm T|X and
> saying, "Oh wow, are you *still* using one of those?"

Palm TX works better in pitch black than the Hipster (or as we used to
call them back in the day, "a notepad").

> The conclusion I've come to is: people abandoned their Palms when they
> got celphones, because of the inconvenience of carrying around one
> more thing;  most people (possibly not most people on this list)
> consider having a gadget bandolier to be excessively geeky.

The day Palm OS phones were discontinued was a sad day. I've been hauling
around a Windows Mobile monstrosity for the past year and I'm looking
forward to the Palm Pre being released so I can finally have a Linux box
that's also my phone.

Bandoliers aren't necessary, just pockets. I think the minimum number of
pockets I have is 5, and most of my clothes have around 10. Problem
solved.

> The great irony of course, is that the paper and pen (oddly, not
> pencil as was part of the Daytimer religion) Hipster is considered,
> well, hip, and the much more capable Palm is considered outdated, even
> when the Hipster is based on millenia-old hardware and both systems on
> an organizational system in common use a half century ago.

Paper and pen relies on one having legible writing. This is not
necessarily the case, particularly when someone else needs to be able to
read the meeting request.

Cheers... Dop.