[nSLUG] Your Editor not as good as mine

Hatem Nassrat hnassrat at gmail.com
Fri Aug 14 18:22:58 ADT 2009

On Fri, Aug 14, 2009 at 12:50:43PM -0300, D G Teed wrote:
>    As for sitting in emacs all day and using that like your shell.
>    OK, so you can.  You can probably go fishing from the front
>    seat of a car, but it isn't cool, it is BIZARRE.  On occasion,

You can do that from emacs too, Emacs seems more of an OS than an
editor. You can pretty much start emacs and never have to close it.

>    if I want to check something while remaining in vi,
>    :!/bin/bash does this.

Have you also tried:

    :. !echo 1234

    also works with ranges

    :% !echo 1235

>    Perhaps if I was a programmer, I would value emacs more, but

Emacs value cannot be disregarded, but the excess keystrokes (and
possibly the learning curve once committed to learn emacs) exceeds that
of vim. However, I hear one can install *Viper* to get rid of those
excess keystrokes in emacs.

>    I'm not, so I don't.

I guess shells and vim may not only be for programmers. Intresting...

--
Hatem Nassrat