[nSLUG] Your Editor not as good as mine

D G Teed donald.teed at gmail.com
Fri Aug 14 12:50:43 ADT 2009

I'll throw in my 2 cents.  I started with something called fred,
which was a friendly ed.  Around the same time vi became
available, I played the ASCII curses game larn (like rogue/nethack)
which uses the famous hjkl keys for movement.  So these
quickly became second nature (or else you die when fleeing
in the wrong direction from the high level beasts).

One day I heard about emacs.  I launched it.  The first thing I wanted
to do was save a file and quit.  I learned both of these options
required keys to be pressed in combination.  That was very un-ed.
It also competed with the dexterity required to edit files while
eating something at lunch time.  There are moments when
only the pinky is clean enough to touch the keyboard
(take out Cora's Pizza, Spadina Rd., Toronto),
and you really want to see the results of the edit with
whatever process was being debugged.  Not a major
factor, but that is now I felt about key combos at the time.
I never used emacs again.

That was about 18 years ago, but I've never found a requirement
to use emacs which couldn't be done in vi or with some
scripting tool.

As for sitting in emacs all day and using that like your shell.
OK, so you can.  You can probably go fishing from the front
seat of a car, but it isn't cool, it is BIZARRE.  On occasion,
if I want to check something while remaining in vi,
:!/bin/bash does this.

Perhaps if I was a programmer, I would value emacs more, but
I'm not, so I don't.

--Donald