[nSLUG] OT: mail server stuff (was Re: Apache)

Hatem Nassrat hnassrat at gmail.com
Fri Aug 7 23:36:44 ADT 2009

On Fri, Aug 7, 2009 at 10:38 PM, Sheldon Tower<shtower at eastlink.ca> wrote:
> I also installed a vncserver so I could administer my web server
> remotely, but I found that ssh is much easier to use. I tried using
> TightVNC to connect to my server, but it wouldn't let me connect unless
> a user was logged in on the server. I can login as any user on my
> server, and administer the server using ssh even if there is no user
> already logged in.

you can ssh into the box and run:

    vncserver -depth 16

or any depth you wish to start a vncserver with tightvnc. You must
also forward the necessary ports for vnc, e.g. port 5901 for vnc
running on display 1.0, port 5902 for vnc running on display 2.0 ...
to kill the vnc session you may run

    vncserver -kill :1.0  # to kill a vncserver running on display 1.0

You may find answers to other questions by typing 'man vncserver'.

--
Hatem Nassrat

You may also tunnel ports through ssh (as long as port 22 is forwarded
to your server) for that you may type 'man ssh' (hint check out -L or
-R switches, btw. they are exact opposites of each other)