[nSLUG] OT: mail server stuff (was Re: Apache)

Sheldon Tower shtower at eastlink.ca
Fri Aug 7 22:38:16 ADT 2009

Everyone

Thanks a lot for your help. I ended up taking Hatem's advice and
installing Ubuntu 9.04. I was able to configure the network device on my
server (eth0) to connect to my router using a static ip address. My
router (of course) is connected to the internet using a dynamic ip
address. I forwarded all traffic coming to my router on port 80 to the
static ip address of my server. My server can now be accessed from
outside my local network.

I also installed a vncserver so I could administer my web server
remotely, but I found that ssh is much easier to use. I tried using
TightVNC to connect to my server, but it wouldn't let me connect unless
a user was logged in on the server. I can login as any user on my
server, and administer the server using ssh even if there is no user
already logged in.

Thanks again for your help. I've been using Linux for everyday computing
for a while, but I've never administered my own server before.

Sheldon