[nSLUG] OT: mail server stuff (was Re: Apache)

Ian Campbell ian at slu.ms
Fri Aug 7 01:31:37 ADT 2009

On Fri, Aug 07, 2009 at 01:15:04AM -0300, Baha Baydar wrote:

> Eastlink does NOT block port 80, I run several websites on a Slackware
> server at home with no problems. They do however block outbound traffic on
> port 25/SMTP, I assume to prevent spam/bots/etc. (Or at least they used to
> and I haven't tested it recently since it's easy enough to use the eastlink
> server as a smartrelay)

I've gotten in the habit of setting up SMTP (auth+ssl) on port 587 on
the mail servers I setup, mainly so I can be guaranteed my laptop will
send email from (basically) any network I'm on.

Convenient and standards compliant workaround. Never felt the need to
run a mail server from home... or at least, never felt my
power/connection was reliable enough for it.

YMMV.