[nSLUG] Apache

Baha Baydar bbaydar at gmail.com
Fri Aug 7 01:15:04 ADT 2009

On Thu, Aug 6, 2009 at 11:04 PM, <nslug-request at nslug.ns.ca> wrote:

> Message: 1
> Date: Thu, 06 Aug 2009 21:24:08 -0300
> From: shtower at eastlink.ca
> Subject: [nSLUG] Apache
> To: Nova Scotia Linux User Group <nslug at nslug.ns.ca>
>
> I've been trying to set up a web server under Fedora Core 11 using my old
> Acer Aspire 3860 laptop. I installed the Apache server software and enabled
> and started the httpd service. When I open my web browser, and type "
> http://localhost", I'm presented with the index.html test page that I put
> into the directory "/var/www/html." I have no trouble accessing my test page
> from the computer running Apache, but I can't access the page from any other
> computer. I tried typing "http://[my ip address]", and "http://[my ip
> adress]:80" with no luck. I did open up port 80 on my router, and I tried
> changing the port from port 80 to port 8008 by editing the "Listen" line in
> the httpd.conf file, but I still got the same results. Can anyone tell me
> how to access the website on my server from another computer, or know of a
> fairly "user friendly" Apache tutorial? Also, I read somewhere that some
> ISPs prevent people from using port 80 to run a web server. Does anyone know
> if Eastlink does this?
>
> Many Thanks
>
> Sheldon

Eastlink does NOT block port 80, I run several websites on a Slackware
server at home with no problems. They do however block outbound traffic on
port 25/SMTP, I assume to prevent spam/bots/etc. (Or at least they used to
and I haven't tested it recently since it's easy enough to use the eastlink
server as a smartrelay)

--
Baha Baydar                      http://www.hyperion.org
bbaydar at gmail.com           http://www.aztekrally.org