[nSLUG] Open Source Desktop Apps

David Potter dlpotter at eastlink.ca
Thu Aug 6 07:23:35 ADT 2009

Daniel Morrison wrote:
> Thanks for your reply, Carrie -- all very reasonable.
>
> I think you hit the nail on the head in saying that some depts. are
> more advanced than others. Ultimately, free software often gets
> deployed by techies like us where it does the best job, regardless of
> official policy, and so some depts. incorporate free software sooner
> than others.
>
> So there must be many conversations on this topic at different levels
> in different departments, in which surely any point of view may be
> expressed.
>
> Mr. Steele was kind enough to reply promptly to my email, confirming
> at least that the creation of a high-level committee that would have
> made the alleged statement is a rumour. He suggested it may all stem
> from a misunderstanding over an IT person considering the possible
> risks of certain software (certainly always advisable to examine
> risk). He went on to say that he does recognize open source software,
> and uses some himself.
>
> So I think we can lay to rest the concern that the province has
> mandated any shift to proprietary software, and the free takeover can
> continue as planned, one dept. at a time :)
>
> -D.
>
> PS: I also had to smile at the "Corel vs. Office" comment. I bet that
> what they find in Corel is WordPerfect, considered by many to be
> vastly superior to Word. So I understand. I think they're more likely
> to switch to openoffice.org than to Word.... but still. Wordperfect is
> good. There are OpenOffice.org feature requests to add 'Reveal Codes'
> to Openoffice Writer. I'm not sure it will ever be possible, though.

When Carrie mentioned Corel I immediately thought 'legal department'
because WordPerfect was usually the first choice in law offices.

My preference for WordPerfect was because of the character based
formatting rather than the paragraph based metaphor. I'd like to know
how many times (during the 10 years it took me to transition from WP to
Word) /(that) /I saved a document as ASCI and reformatted it from
scratch... I guess some brains work best in WordPerfect... ;-)

david