[nSLUG] Open Source Desktop Apps

Daniel Morrison draker at gmail.com
Wed Aug 5 22:56:53 ADT 2009

Thanks for your reply, Carrie -- all very reasonable.

I think you hit the nail on the head in saying that some depts. are
more advanced than others. Ultimately, free software often gets
deployed by techies like us where it does the best job, regardless of
official policy, and so some depts. incorporate free software sooner
than others.

So there must be many conversations on this topic at different levels
in different departments, in which surely any point of view may be
expressed.

Mr. Steele was kind enough to reply promptly to my email, confirming
at least that the creation of a high-level committee that would have
made the alleged statement is a rumour. He suggested it may all stem
from a misunderstanding over an IT person considering the possible
risks of certain software (certainly always advisable to examine
risk). He went on to say that he does recognize open source software,
and uses some himself.

So I think we can lay to rest the concern that the province has
mandated any shift to proprietary software, and the free takeover can
continue as planned, one dept. at a time :)

-D.

PS: I also had to smile at the "Corel vs. Office" comment. I bet that
what they find in Corel is WordPerfect, considered by many to be
vastly superior to Word. So I understand. I think they're more likely
to switch to openoffice.org than to Word.... but still. Wordperfect is
good. There are OpenOffice.org feature requests to add 'Reveal Codes'
to Openoffice Writer. I'm not sure it will ever be possible, though.