[nSLUG] Open Source Desktop Apps

Hatem Nassrat hnassrat at gmail.com
Wed Aug 5 19:44:07 ADT 2009

On Wed, Aug 5, 2009 at 4:00 PM, Jim Haliburton<jim at on-site.ns.ca> wrote:
> Recently  I was told that a CIO type committee was formed in the provincial
> government IT management.  I have also heard that they have advised the
> politicos that Open Source Software is "not sustainable".  Now I believe this
> is plain and simply incorrect.

You are correct my friend. Many people who have different agendas make
such claims. IMHO it is completely the opposite, proprietery software
is usualy not sustainable. Well the argument goes both ways. Its
actually the users, as long as their are users the software will be
sustainable. My argument is that users, will most likely look for and
use open source than proprietary software.

[...]

> Possibly we have an opportunity to make a change with a new government.  If it
> takes meeting as a small group to review the material available, I am up for
> it.

I am not sure if the time permits, but that might make a great topic
for next nslug meeting.

> I know it is the dog days of summer, but I would like nothing better than for
> this CIO committee to come back from vacation and find their position not only
> refuted, but overturned.  It has to be a workable, financially viable,
> technically valid paper, showing that their assumptions and beliefs are wrong
> and that Open Source is 'right'  and now is the time for change.

I think you have to really search if these guys have a hidden agenda
behind their decision, it is usually the case, and may be easy to
prove depending on what they are pushing as an alternative.

--
Hatem Nassrat